Fast Times at Ridgemont High turned 35 this year and yet I’m still only about 12 years old? How is this possible? This iconic movie was the soundtrack of my youth. Literally, the soundtrack in that it was groundbreaking, featuring a mix of ’70s & ’80s rock & roll artists, that to me, will forever be connected with the film.
I mean, who can hear Moving in Stereo by The Cars without instantly thinking of that hot, hormone-raging pool scene? Jackson Browne’s Somebody’s Baby is used as the theme song to Stacy’s (played by Jennifer Jason Leigh) deflowering.
Cameron Crowe, then a freelance writer for Rolling Stone magazine, went undercover as a student at Clairemont High School in San Diego, CA to write a book (of the same name). Fast Times was adapted from the novel which is about a group of teens struggling with sex, love, and the future. In Fast Times we get to see a cast of young stars already in the making– Sean Penn (who totally stole the film, and birthed an army of Spicoli wannabes in high schools across the country), Judge Reinhold, Phoebe Cates and Jennifer Jason Leigh. There are also early appearances by relative unknowns at the time who would go on to major stardom– Nicolas Cage, (then Nicolas Coppola), Forest Whitaker, Eric Stoltz, and Anthony (Goose) Edwards.
As iconic as the soundtrack was, who can forget the great quotes from that movie? 35 years later and they still hold up today! Here are the top 10:
- I want a relationship. I want romance. In Ridgemont? We can’t even get cable TV here, Stacy, and you want romance.
- When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.
- People on ‘ludes should not drive.
- I shall serve no fries before their time
- Learn it. Know it. Live it.
- All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I’m fine
- Mister, if you don’t shut up, I’m gonna kick 100 percent of your ass!
- So what Jefferson was saying was ‘Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don’t get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we’ll just be bogus too.’ Yeah?
- I woke up in such a great mood today. I don’t know what happened.
- If I’m here, and you’re here, doesn’t that make it our time? Certainly, there’s nothing wrong with a little feast on our time!
And for a little bonus – number 11:
Relax, all right? My dad is a television repairman, he’s got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.